Sunday, May 31, 2009

COURAGE NEEDED AND WISDOM GAINED



I am told that this remarkable fellow is known in literature as "Father Courage". Courage is an interesting word. Here's what great minds have said about it:


Helen Keller:
We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.

Henry David Thoreau:
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
James Freeman Clarke:
Conscience is the root of all true courage; if a man would be brave let him obey his conscience.
John Quincy Adams:
Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Of course I love Thoreau's and John Quincy Adams the best. It took a lot of it to put on "A Little Bit of Broadway" I invested a lot, gained a lot of courage and wisdom, but I also lost a big one. In all the effort to invest in the show, including refreshment funds, tickets, nice programs, props etc. etc, I neglected to make the payment on my second car and on Tuesday, they came to re-possess it. In all of my life, I have NEVER had a car or anything else for that matter re-possessed. Now true, it was an older car, a 2003 Ford Focus-- yes, that same Ford Focus that was in that accident back in October of 2006 , hit by a lady without a license and insurance and the one that I invested so much repair money into, but it was a big, big devastating blow. I've barely left the house since. My credit is now shot. Now, it's true, by walking away I will save $257.00 a month in car payments and $49 a month in insurance, but it's still a big blow for me. Blame the show? Well, I almost did-- but it was ME-- not that show. I managed to pay for the playhouse rental, but let too many other expenses do me in. Well, lesson learned the hard way. I am trying to motivate myself into continuing, but its very hard. Guess, I'll be stuck in this apartment a long time unless I win the lottery. I can't even motivate myself to go to church today. But, maybe this is just another way to show me that "God Draws Straight With Crooked Lines". I need for Him to show me that just about now. A little sign from Him would sure help. I guess it will take some time and I really need to find a job, but I can't even get an interview and all applications are handled on line these days! Maybe an answer will come along. I sure the hell hope so.

1 comment:

Tony Westbrook said...

Hang in there Mike! Take the bus, walk, ask friends for rides! You have done so much for so many, now let some of them help you out. Turn about is fair play!