Friday, August 08, 2008

A REMARKABLE DAY IN HISTORY




On this day in 1974, Richard M. Nixon became the only president of the United States to resign his office for as he said "the good of the nation". I remember that day very well. I was living in Goleta, above Santa Barbara. The funny thing is the date itself. Because also on August 8th in 1968, The Republican Party officially nominated Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew (remember him?) as president and vice president. Richard M. Nixon will always remain a most unique specimen of US History. He was a god man in many ways, but he also was a control freak. He actually thought himself above the law. Gerald Ford succeeded Nixon as the 38th president the next day at noon and served Nixon's remaining eight hundred and ninety-five days in office. I remember a great comedian by the name of David Frye who could imitate Nixon and Lyndon Johnson so perfectly. There was a bit where Nixon (upon winning the election) decides because he is "the president-elect" to go to Washington DC and rings the doorbell at the White House at eleven o'clock at night to get a tour of his "new pad". Hysterical! In it Richard Nixon even attempts to sell Lyndon Johnson a used car. To which Lyndon dryly proclaims "Buy a used car?-- From YOU? Today is also Esther Williams 87th birthday. I love Esther. What I didn't know was that she had a hot and heavy romantic relationship with actor Victor Mature during the filming of the MGM movie "Million Dollar Mermaid". She was also involved romantically with actor Jeff ("Combat") Conway but broke it when she discovered that he was a cross dresser-- imagine that. Yesterday I got paid $158.00 to evaluate new cars-- that was sure easy money! Well later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello.. i first saw the Helen Morgan story on TV..and then the movie w/Ann Blyth and Paul Newman...i was so moved first by the Play...i wrote to the Record Co...who sent my Letter to her Mother..who at the time was living in Harlen w/her Sister....She invited me and my Husband to visit after reading my letter...actually..we went several times....She opened a closet door and showed us all of Helen's costumes...a v/poignant moment for me...she then handed me a scarf w/Helen's name embroided on it an i still have it w/her Mother's photo and i am almost Positive her Sister...she also gave me Showboat album....I have never been able to erase Helen Morgan from my mind..Why? is a mystery to me..of course the Torch Songs just bring tears when listening to them...Her Mother...Mrs.Morgan said both the play and film wre not the true story of Helen..that i think it was Ann Blyth who visited her apt. and wore some of Helen's clothing in the film........I have tried to find a book of the actual story of Helen Morgan w/no luck....even writing to some celebrity writers in NYC ..who knew of none...i don't understand why a Helen Morgan Fan Club ..Private..is not on FB....There must be many others who would enjoy conversation w/her fans...I will never forget my meetings w/her Mother....tho in my late teens..i still am obsessed w/Helen Morgan and if there is a book w/truth somewhere.please leave a post...Thank you..