Saturday, July 01, 2006


Today in 1930, the late great Jack Benny made his Broadway stage debut in the Earl Carroll Vanities. Jack Benny was my all time favorite comedian. This genuinely humble, simple guy could make me laugh in more ways than I can ever tell you. When I studied comedy writing with the late great Danny Simon, on of Danny's absolute principles was that great comedy was also great honesty. If you try to be funny, you never will. Great comedy comes from within the character. If you are writing for that character, it is absolutely imperative that you get inside his or her head and talk and act and plan like that character. (That's what made the "Golden Girls" so funny!) Jack Benny was dead honest. He portrayed the cheapskate with absolute perfection. And you laughed and you laughed because why? You believed it 100% plus! You actually believed that Benny had a dungeon with a moat guarded by crocodiles and a guard named Ed (who's worked there so long that the old gink still thinks George Washington is president)where he keeps all of his money! But the funny thing, in real life, Jack was as far from cheap as man is to sky! He was a kind and generous man who was gracious and kind and encouraging of new talent. George Burns was his very best friend! I saw a sketch once that had Walt Disney guest star on Jack's television show. Now trust me when iI tell you that Walt Disney did not guest star on very many outside television shows. In this one Jack went to Walt looking for a hundred free passes to Disneyland. Now when walt says "But, Jack, I distinctly remember that when Disneyland opened, I gave you a 24 karat solid gold pass to Disneyland-- what did you do with it!?" When Jack opens his mouth and points to a molar (and we know that the cheap Benny character has had the damn thing melted down and used as a filling) you just roll on the floor! Who but the cheapest man on the planet would dare to do something like that? And yes, you know a writer invented that, but damn do you believe it-- even for the moment-- hell yes-- and long after. Jack was born on February 14th, 1894 in Weaukegan, Illinois and lived until 1974. He married dear Mary Livingston in 1927. He served in the Navy in World War One. of course the co-stars of his show were great too: Rochester, Dennis Day, Don Wilson and of course the amazing Mel Blanc! I will watch a Jack Benny re-run as gleefully as I will watch Lucille Ball. Well that's about all for now. I wish my cousin Brian a most happy anniversary and send he and his wife Betty my very best wishes. I did get an offer to manage a store a store in the last few days, but we will see about what they want to pay me! Bye for now!

No comments: