Thursday, June 15, 2006


I read today that the voice behind Jiminy Cricket (Cliff Edwards) died a pauper and for years had an unmarked grave at Valahala cemetery in North Hollywood. Cliff Edwards was a unique and wonderful entertainer who had gained great fame as "Ukelele Ike". Walt Disney paid for his funeral in 1964 -- just two years prior to his own demise in 1966. Now everyone in this world knows that "Ike" sang "When You Wish Upon A Star in Walt Disney's classic "Pinocchio" in 1940. Who can forget the character of Jiminy Cricket? He went on to be one of the most popular animated characters in the Disney Stable. He was featured in many Disney educational shorts including the I'm No Fool" series on "The Mickey Mouse Club" He also introduced songs like "Give A Little Whistle" But more than that I was he who introduced the song "Singing in the Rain" to the world back in the early 30's. Only in the last three years has there been a marker on this great entertainer's final resting place. It was put there by the Disney Studio as a fitting last tribute. Here was a gentle sweet loving man. I intend to make a visit to his gravesite very soon. My entry is short today. Tomorrow morning, I make my first visit to a Superior Court to testify to the character of a good friend. He made the foolish mistake of buying something stolen on the internet. When he went to sell it, he decided to have it cleaned before he did and the outfit that does the servicing decided to check the serial number. I am certain the only reason that the serial number was checked was because Jerry is black. Prejudice is a very ugly word. I have seen this man held up to extreme prejudice in the seven years I have known him. The lesson here is to check the serial number of anything you decide to buy from the internet. If you buy it and it turns out to be stolen-- you are just as liable as the guy who sold it to you-- that is of course if you can find him again. I will let you know what happens after my day in court tomorrow. It should be interesting!

No comments: