Friday, June 30, 2006



I am running very late in today's entry, I must say. I had waited on James Darren at my camera store two weeks ago and I was really thrilled. I had loved his voice when I was young and I loved him in the short lived series "The Time Tunnel" back in 1966-67. So here was "Moondoggie" from that classic movie "Gidget" in the flesh. Only now he is SEVENTY years young! Oh wow, did that age me. He gave me his latest CD (Yes, he is still singing and performing in public! His biggest hit was 1961's "Goodbye Cruel World" --it was on the Billboard top twenty list for a long time! His new album is called "Because of You"-- and i will tell you, this man has still a most wonderful and delightful singing voice! He sings some great renditions of some classic songs including Cole Porter's "It Was Just One Of Those Things" and Frankie Vallie's "My Eyes Adored You" All in all I loved hearing some of the great old songs once recorded by Frank Sinatra and Tony bennett sung in a new way. Some jazzed up, some even with a Bosa Nova beat! How I would love this man to sing some of my songs! I remember him singing the title tune from "Gidget" starring the late great Sandra Dee. How did that lyric go? Oh yeah == "It's very well maybe, she's just a baby, speaking romanticly -- well if that's how you reach her, I'll be the teacher-- Gidget is the one for me" "She may say she loves you , but deep down inside she hates you and if she says she hates you-- that can also mean she loves you". Well it was a great meeting and a great album. I really enjoyed it! Until next time!